RDS Device CALsApplies To: Windows Server 2016
You can use the Remote Desktop Licensing Manager tool to create reports to track the RDS Per User CALs that have been issued by a Remote Desktop license server.
Note: If you are using Azure AD Domain Services in your environment, the Remote Desktop Licensing Manager tool won't work to obtain Per User CALs. Instead, you need to track licensing manually, either through logon events, polling active Remote Desktop connections through the Connection Broker, or another mechanism that works for you.
Use the following steps to generate a per User CALs report:
- In Remote Desktop Licensing Manager right-click the license server, click Create Report, and then click Per User CAL Usage.
- Set the scope for the report - select one of the following:
- Entire domain - the domain in which the license server is a member.
- Organizational Unit - Any OU within the domain in which the license server is a member.
- Entire domain and all trusted domains - Can include domains in other forests. Selecting this option can increase the time that it takes to create the report.
The selection that you make determines which user accounts in AD DS are searched for RDS Per User CAL information to generate the report.
- Click Create Report. The report is created and a message appears to confirm that the report was successfully created. Click OK to close the message.
The report that you created appears in the Reports section under the node for the license server. The report provides the following information:
- Date and time the report was created
- The scope of the report (e.g., Domain, OU=Sales, or All trusted domains)
- The number of RDS Per User CALs that are installed on the license server
- The number of RDS Per User CALs that have been issued by the license server specific to the scope of the report
You can also save the report as a CSV file to a folder location on the computer. To save the report, right-click the report that you want to save, click Save As, and then specify the file name and location to save the report.
Reports that you create are listed in the Reports node under the node for the license server in Remote Desktop Licensing Manager. If you no longer need a report, you can delete it